Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Meet the Seller - Erin from Creatures of Chaos


Meet Erin Knock and her Creatures of Chaos


When did you begin making and what was your inspiration?
I have been making and creating since I was a little girl. My mum said i use to make the strangest little creatures all the time. But it's only the last couple of years that I really got back into it. Creating things has always been part of who I am.

What do you make?
A bit of everything but for "creatures of chaos" I focus mainly on making soft toys. I've also started a new service of turning children's artwork into soft toys. It's a great challenge and lots of fun. What I do is take what your child has drawn and create a soft toy that replicates the child's drawing as closely as possible.         

Who has been the most influential in your craft?
My son, when he was around two, because that's when I got my creativity back. I found myself making costumes for him, fueling his desire to transform into different characters and it's taken off from there.           



What inspires you?
Ha,ha..receiving costume party invites,... that puts me right into a creative frenzy. Travel, art, animals, children's movies, music, Tim Burton, life in general.           

What is your favorite book?
Would have to be the Thursday Next series by Jasper Fforde, pretty much anything by him.

Where do you find your online inspiration? Favourite Blogs/ websites?
Lots of places but my favourite would be "coolhunters", i love that site. I also find myself just googling a topic and surfing the images, I can lose myself for ages doing that.          

Where did your brand name come from?
The name "creatures of chaos" was  the inspiration of my brother-in-law and came about well after i had started making my creatures.

When you are not at the Devonport Craft Market - where can people find your work?
You can find me at my website (www.creaturesofchaos.co.nz), my felt shop (www.felt.co.nz/shop/creatureofchaos) or at my facebook page

What handmade possession do you most treasure?
I have these Indian shirts i've inherited from my mother's boutique back in the early 70's. Silk, block printed by hand in fantastic colours.

The other handmade possession I love is an appliqué embroidered bird.
I found this treasure on Saba an island in the caribbean, when I was living and working on another island doing a conservation program.

Apart from making/creating, what do you do?
Mother to my beautiful boy  

What music is on 'high rotate' on your stereo or iPod at the moment?
Florence and the Machine, Bat for Lashes, The Hunger Games- various artists.

Special Offer
One lucky customer will receive a monster blob for "FREE" at the September Devonport Craft Market. All you have to do is be the 15 purchasing customer at my "creatures of chaos" stall on that day.



No comments:

Post a Comment